Personal Injury Law and Practice Fundamentals
This authoritative course will provide you with the foundational information and knowhow essential to starting or refreshing a personal injury practice. Our seasoned faculty will walk you through the nuts and bolts of personal injury practice and procedure. Then, they will delve more in-depth on trends and developments, damages, and other key topics. Don’t miss this opportunity for a full look at personal injury – register today!
- Learn the fundamentals of local procedure.
- Hear about regulatory trends and developments.
- Build an understanding of first-party and third-party insurance coverage.
- Learn the ABC’s of damages, from economic to pain, suffering and punitive damages.
- Confidently calculate lost wages, future lost earnings, and more.
- Observe negotiation tactics utilized by plaintiff and defense attorneys.
- Fundamentals of Local Procedure
9:00 – 10:00, Joseph L. Feliciani
- Personal Injury Statutes
- Case Intake, Evaluation and Investigation
- Pleadings; Discovery; Motions
- Settlement Procedure
- Trial and Post-Trial
- Sample Forms and Checklists
- Legislative, Case Law and Regulatory Trends and Developments
10:00 – 10:45, Stephen Bruderle
- Auto Injury and Other Accidents
- Slip, Trip and Fall; Premises Liability
- Products Liability – Latest Product Recalls
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Insurance Liens, Subrogation and Damages
11:00 – 12:00, Michael J. Needleman
- First-Party Benefits
- Tortfeaser’s Coverage
- Finding ALL Sources of Coverage
- How Insurance Companies Investigate and Value Injury Claims
- Liens: Hospital, Medicare, Workers’ Compensation, etc.
- Injury Demand Letters and Pre-Suit Negotiations
1:00 – 1:45, Joseph L. Feliciani
- Damages: Part 1 [Economic Damages]
1:45 – 2:15, Mark S. Kardos
- Factors That Impact Damages Calculations
- Expenses and Property Damage
- Lost Wages and Earnings
- Future Lost Earnings and Earning Capacity
- Damages: Part 2 [Pain, Suffering and Punitive Damages]
2:30 – 3:30, Mark S. Kardos
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Loss of Companionship/Consortium
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Punitive Damages
- Damages in Wrongful Death Cases
- Standing on Ethical Ground
3:30 – 4:30, Dawn C. Doherty
- Ethics of Legal Advertising
- Managing Client Expectations
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Preserving Confidentiality
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is designed for attorneys. Insurance professionals and paralegals may also benefit.