presented by NBI, Inc.
Handling the Divorce Case From Start to Finish
Your Guide for Navigating Through the Divorce Process
Are you able to effortlessly navigate through the divorce process? Do you need more practice pointers or best practice tips to fine-tune your approach? This comprehensive course will provide you with a step-by-step guide through divorce cases. From client interviews to final settlements, you’ll get the information you need to represent your clients’ best interests. You’ll also obtain critical divorce discovery tools along with guidelines for custody and support calculations. Have a firm grasp of the ins and outs of the divorce process to help relieve your clients’ anxiety – register today!
- Examine effective ways to handle client interviews in divorce cases.
- Review ways to manage time and expenses in discovery while uncovering crucial hidden assets.
- Take a closer look at ways to find and retrieve important social media, text and email evidence.
- Discuss the factors that need to be considered when valuing and dividing assets in divorce.
- Explore the issues that are assessed when evaluating parental alienation and abuse cases.
- Learn what goes into calculating child and spousal support and the tax implications associated with them.
- Client Intake and Motions in Divorce (With Examples)
9:00 – 9:45, Yvette P. Fallon
- Handling the Client Interview
- Developing Comprehensive Intake Forms (With Samples)
- Managing Client Expectations
- Determining Jurisdiction
- Weighing the Different Options – Litigation vs. Mediation vs. Collaboration
- Initial Complaint/Petition for Divorce
- Emergency Motions – Restraining Orders, Protective Orders and More
- Preliminary/Pendente Lite Motions – Factors to Consider
- Qualitative Divorce Law Checklist
- Discovery, Evidence and Experts – Finding Hidden Assets and More
9:45 – 10:30, Pamela Magnano
- Financial Affidavit/Disclosures
- Interrogatories, Requests for Admission and Requests for Production
- Managing Time and Expenses in Discovery
- Finding Hidden Assets
- Working With Experts – Custody Evaluators, Guardians Ad Litem, Financial Experts and More
- Direct and Cross-Examination – Quick Tips and Sample Questions
- Depositions in Divorce
- Authenticating and Admitting Evidence in Divorce
- Gathering Social Media, Text and Email Evidence
10:45 – 11:15, Pamela Magnano
- Social Media Sites and Apps – What to Look for and Where to Find It
- What to do if Message, Posts or Accounts Have Been Deleted
- Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and More
- Whose Smartphone/Tablet is Discoverable?
- How to Subpoena Mobile Phone Carriers for Records
- Retrieving Texts from Messaging Apps
- How to Get Email Evidence
- Preservation and Spoliation Considerations
- Authenticating and Getting Your Posts, Emails and Texts Admitted
- Valuing and Dividing Assets – QDROs, Stock Options, Business Assets and More
11:15 – 12:00, Donna L. Buttler
- Tracing Commingled/Transmuted Assets
- Valuation of Assets Including Business Assets
- QDROs and Retirement Plans
- Dividing Stock Options
- Life and Health Insurance
- Real Estate
- Debt, Foreclosure and Bankruptcy
- Mistakes to Avoid in Asset Division and Settlement
- Tax Issues to Watch for When Dividing Assets
- Effective Pre-Nuptial Agreements
- Custody, Visitation and Handling Parental Alienation/Abuse
1:00 – 1:45, Tyler Raymond
- Determining the Best Interest of the Child
- Custody Options to Consider – Procedural Overview
- Negotiating Custody, Visitation and Parenting Plans
- The Role of Guardians Ad Litem, Parenting Evaluators and Parenting Coordinators
- Alienation: What it is and How to Prove it
- Fighting Against False Abuse Allegations
- Child and Spousal Support and Tax Implications
1:45 – 2:30, Carmina K. Hirsch
- Child Support Considerations, Calculations, Guideline Worksheet, Deviations
- Spousal Support Considerations, Calculations, Deviations
- Tax Filing Status for Divorcing Parties
- The TCJA and Support Calculations
- Spousal Support and Child Tax Benefits
- Negotiating and Drafting the Marital Settlement Agreement and Trial Considerations
2:45 – 3:30, Carmina K. Hirsch
- Legal Ethics
3:30 – 4:30, Tyler Raymond
- Conflicts of Interest Checks
- Retainers and Attorneys’ Fees
- Scope of Representation
- Joint Representation
- Setting Clear Expectations with Clients
- Emails and Confidentiality
- Termination of Representation
Who Should Attend
This basic level seminar is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.
Training Provider: NBI, Inc.
Training Course Summary: Handling the Divorce Case From Start to Finish