Building a Solid Foundation for Your Legal Practice
Not every situation lawyers face can be foreseen – but building a strong ethical framework is fundamental to your reputation, to your conscience and to the integrity of the legal profession. This course offers practical guidance for client communication, solutions to common dilemmas and real-life insights into finding the right way through grey areas. Make certain your practice is beyond reproach – register today!
- Learn how to avoid ethical pitfalls in your communications with the courts, lawyers and other parties.
- Spot and prevent conflicts of interest with current and former clients.
- Identify key tenets of attorney professionalism and understand how they translate into daily legal tasks.
- Prevent discrimination and bias in your practice with real-life strategies for a more inclusive practice.
- Explore exemplary cases on the legal ethics continuum.
- Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility: Current Rules and Challenges
8:45 – 9:15, Stephen G. Mirakian
- Dedication to the Service of Clients
- Improvement of Justice
- Advancement of the Rule of Law
- Service to the Community
- Understanding Professionalism
9:15 – 10:15, Stephen G. Mirakian
- Lawyer’s Responsibility as an Officer of the Court
- Treating Fellow Lawyers, Members of the Bench, and Clients with Respect and Dignity
- Mindfulness as a Way Toward Greater Attorney Professionalism
- Common Scenarios
- Organization of Your Work
- Conflicts of Interest: Top Mistakes to Avoid
10:30 – 11:00, Floyd R. Finch Jr.
- Who is the Client?
- Commonly Overlooked Issues in Conflict Checks
- Not Obtaining Informed Consent/Waivers or Doing it Incorrectly
- Representing Clients with Adverse Interests Simultaneously
- Problems with Former Clients
- Ethical Wall Mistakes
- The Dangers of Highly Specialized Practices/Tightly-Knit Client Groups
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Practice
11:00 – 12:00, Floyd R. Finch Jr.
- Challenges Faced by Groups Underrepresented in the Legal Profession
- Eliminating Bias and Increasing Representation
- Reducing Harassment
- Barriers to Hiring, Retention, Promotion, Professional Development
- Communication Skills Necessary for Effective Representation of Diverse Clients
- Advancing Women in the Profession
- Mentoring Relationships Between Majority and Minority Attorneys
- Spotting and Fighting Age Bias in the Legal Profession
- Common Issues LGBTQ Attorneys and Clients Face
This basic level seminar is designed for attorneys. It will also benefit paralegals, legal assistants and other legal staff.