Lost Paradise music festival will not be going ahead this year due to the ongoing bushfire threat in NSW.
The announcement was made today just weeks before the New Year’s festival was set to go ahead.
Organisers of the festival said they can’t risk putting any of the attendees in danger as fires continue to burn around the festival site.
“After extensive consultation with the Rural Fire Service, emergency personnel and other key stakeholders, the difficult decision has been made to cancel this year’s Lost Paradise festival,” a Lost Paradise spokesperson said.
“Our beautiful home in Sydney’s Central Coast is facing intense and unpredictable fire conditions that are sadly expected to deteriorate.
“We simply cannot put anyone’s life at risk. We have been working around the clock to explore all possible options to relocate the festival, but it is just not feasible within the time frame.”
The festival was set to held at a location in the Glenworth Valley from December 28 to January 1 but this year that will not be the case.
The festival spokesperson thanked everyone who had been working for months to get this year’s event up and running.
“We would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard over the past twelve months to create this year’s event – the artists, performers, teachers, yogis, vendors, sponsors and production crew, and of course our amazing Lost Paradise community who have supported us for six incredible years,” they said.
“We are truly devastated that we won’t be able to bring the festival to life.
“We would also like to express our immense gratitude for the brave emergency teams who are doing all that they can to protect the bushland around the site.”
All guests who bought tickets will be eligible for refunds, with organisers saying they were working closely with ticketing providers to ensure they are processed as quickly as possible.
People who bought tickets can expect to receive updates on the refund process in the coming days.
“This is a heartbreaking time for our country. Our thoughts are with the affected communities across Australia, and the hero firefighters who continue to work in extreme conditions,” the festival spokesperson said.
“Thank you to everyone for their care and support. We will be back bigger and better than ever in 2020.”
Social media users have flocked to the festivals Facebook page following the announcement, with many saying while they are disappointed they understand the decision.
“Our thoughts are with you all – a tough call but unfortunately a necessary one,” one person said.
“Definitely the right call! Such a sad time for our country and a bummer as this festival is amazing. Thanks for letting us know this early,” another said.
One added: “Very wise decision, looking at the fire map a few days ago, I was thinking it is right on your doorstep, and knowing the fires are that close is kind of scary.”