Let’s get right down to it: A man recently had a big idea — inject mushroom tea into his bloodstream.
As it turns out: Not recommended.
Not that his outing was wholly out of the blue — as noted by LiveScience.com, so-called magic shrooms are known to deliver terrific trips:
[They interact] with certain receptors in the brain; specifically, the psilocybin breaks down into psilocin, a substance that acts like the brain chemical serotonin, which plays roles in mood and perception.
In fact, studies suggest psilocybin’s a promising prescription for depression.
Most research has served the substance in pill form; but according to a 2018 Neuropharmacology report, at times, it’s been administered via injection.
And nothing beats a good ol’ DIY solution, I guess, so the guy decided to brew his own.
More from LiveScience:
By injecting shrooms into his bloodstream, the 30-year-old patient had hoped to relieve symptoms of bipolar disorder and opioid dependence… His family members noted that he had recently stopped adhering to his prescribed bipolar medications and was “cycling between depressive and manic states.”
An online search told him LSD and psilocybin mushrooms make for therapeutic effects, so tea time it was.
Unfortunately — and here’s advice worth keeping — getting an FDA-approved shot isn’t 100% the same as literally flushing mushrooms into your system like sinkers into the septic tank.
Resultantly, the man’s loved ones saw that he didn’t seem super.
They took him to the ER, at which point he was unable — as stated in the article — to participate in “a meaningful interview.”
Multiple organs — kidneys and liver among ’em — began to fail.
A visit to the ICU revealed he had…well, I’ll let LS lay it out:
His blood tested positive for a bacterial infection with the microbe Brevibacillus and a fungal infection from Psilocybe cubensis — meaning the magic mushroom he injected was now growing in his blood.
Think you’ve had a fungus before?
How’d ya like Athlete’s Foot in your pancreas?
Mr. Mushroom’s lungs filled with fluid, which necessitated a ventilator.
He enjoyed eight days in the intensive care unit, along with a general hospital vacay of 22 days.
Per the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, now that he’s a civilian again, the original thinker’s still receiving long-term antibiotics and antifungal drugs.
Not that taking shrooms the traditional way would’ve necessarily kept him out of the thicket:
[A] bad trip can trigger anxiety, fear and confusion, as well as elevated blood pressure, vomiting, headaches and stomach cramps, Live Science previously reported. Magic mushrooms carry an added risk because they resemble some species of poisonous mushroom, so people sometimes consume the wrong kind by mistake.
Nevertheless, let it be a lesson to ya: The next time you’re staring at that Chunky Soup (which is delicious) and you think, “If it’s good just eating it, imagine how enjoyable it’d be injected — maybe just stick to the soup that eats like a meal.
See more pieces from me:
Find all my RedState work here.
Thank you for reading! Please sound off in the Comments section below.